Job ID # 2019-03-056
Globalization Partners is looking for In House International Employment Counsel to join our dynamic legal team. The In House International Employment Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel and will work closely with the Deputy General Counsel who manages global employment matters. This position is the first on the legal team to be located outside of the United States.
This role is a great opportunity for an individual to get involved in a broad range employment law matters across UK and European markets.
Location: The position can be based in Bristol, UK or Berlin, Germany.
Our team is our strongest asset, do you want to be part of it? Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic advice and collaboration regarding employment law decisions to the business units and the European Human Resource Managers.
- Advising generally in relation to individual and collective non-contentious employment issues and ensuring good practice legal compliance.
- Conducting legal research to ensure we are providing our innovative employer services in accordance with best practices in the locations where we conduct our business.
- Compensation and benefits expertise to include regulatory provision compliance. Pensions experience an advantage.
- Developing and implementing internal practices and policies to ensure ongoing compliance with applicable laws and regulations at the local, national, and international levels.
- Owning, developing, leading, and delivering in-house training sessions to the internal team.
- Managing litigation by instructing and liaising with outside counsel and business units and ensuring appropriate reporting.
- Forging strong relationships with internal clients and external counsel.
- Assisting with the company’s global data privacy and data protection efforts.
- Working closely with the Global Operations Team.
To be successful in the role you will possess the following core skills and experience:
- Lawyer qualified in the UK, Germany, or another EU jurisdiction with at least 5 years of PQE and demonstrable expertise and experience across a wide area of employment law.
- Ability to speak multiple European languages is a strong advantage.
- Excellent drafting skills, with expertise and experience of drafting and negotiating termination agreements.
- Solid experience of a broad range of national and international employment law matters including but not limited to reorganization and employee consultation, and TUPE/ARD matters.
- Experience working with multinational employers on international employment law issues and advising global clients on local employment issues either in an in house or law firm environment is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable working with a geographically dispersed team.
You will also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Excellent relationship management and people skills. Able to form and maintain strong working relationships internationally within the legal team and with the business units.
- Ability to provide clear guidance on complex and sensitive issues with an appropriate sense of commercial risk.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and excellent analytical skills with due attention to detail.
- Able to think on feet, multitask, and prioritize.
- Possess superior interpersonal and client-management skills.
- Ability to respond to business issues with workable solutions often under critical time pressure.
- Enthusiasm to get involved in new areas of law/jurisdictions.