Your company is responsible for complying with employment laws. When you hire a global workforce, you must make sure your international employees obtain the correct permissions to work in other countries, and that those permits stay current.
In Afghanistan, the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA) grants work permits based on need and the number of invitations for certain international workers. Most often, recipients of work permits are technical workers, ground transportation staff, industry experts, engineers, teachers, doctors, and training staff.
When you work with Globalization Partners, our Employer of Record model relieves your company from the legal responsibility of compliance. We have the resources to hire your employees in more than 180 countries. Plus, our legal team and in-country experts are always up-to-date on the latest changes to work permits in the countries we cover.
About the Afghanistan Work Permit
While some countries offer several types of work permits, Afghanistan has only one, issued by MoLSA. The work visa has a fixed cost determined by the ministries of Finance and Labor and Social Affairs. The single-entry work permit is valid for one month, and it costs $100 USD. Extending the visa for one year costs $50 USD per month, payable to the Ministry of Interior (MoI) in local currency.
If an employee wishes to extend their work visa, their employer must request an extension through the MoI. The employee must also have a letter approving the extension from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA).
While a business visa is also available, most employees planning to work in-country do not perform the roles necessary to qualify for one.
Requirements to Obtain an Afghanistan Work Visa
Anyone who wants to apply for a work visa must meet the following requirements:
- Employees must be older than 18.
- Employees must not be eligible for retirement, which means they must be younger than 65.
- Employees must have a health certificate from their home country and the Ministry of Public Health.
- Employees must obtain a stay permit before applying for a work visa.
Since the employment of international workers is need-based, those employees must work in their field of specialization. Each applicant should plan to work for an employer who has stated their need for the applicant. This employer may have to explain why an international employee is necessary. Employees who hold a work visa must undergo internal supervision by their employer at least part of the time.
How to Get a Work Visa in Afghanistan
Applicants for work permits will need the following documents and resources:
- A completed work visa application
- An introduction letter or invitation from their employer (with passport information, the reason for employment, and duration of stay)
- A letter from the Consular Affairs Directorate-General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- A recent passport-size photo with a standard white background
- Payment for the work permit in local currency
Applicants should take these items to MoLSA to apply for the work visa.
Beyond you start the process of getting the work permit, keep these considerations in mind:
- International employees must abide by locally enforced laws and respect citizens’ beliefs and traditions.
- If the terms of an international employee’s job change, their employer must notify MoLSA about the altered specifications.
- In cases where equal talent is available from international and domestic workers, employers should give priority to domestic candidates.
- If a country imposes restrictions on citizens of Afghanistan within its borders, the government maintains the right to impose restrictions on businesses owned by citizens of that country.
- International workers have the same tax withholding rates and right to leave as domestic employees.
- All employees, including global workers, observe the weekend on Fridays.
Leave It to Globalization Partners
When you work with Globalization Partners, our Employer of Record model lets you enjoy the advantages of a global workforce without taking legal risks. Contact our team today for more information about our services.