The Republic of Cabo Verde goes by a variety of names. You might know it as Cabo Verde or simply Cape Verde. No matter what you call this island nation, it’s clear that it offers significant opportunities for expatriates and international companies alike.
Table of Contents
If your company is planning an expansion in Cape Verde, you’ll probably want to build your team out with local talent as well as some trusted employees who are willing to relocate with the business. Before they can start working in Cape Verde, however, it’s up to you as the employer to make sure they have the visas and work permits they need.
Setting up a locally compliant business entity in Cape Verde can be a long, expensive process, and you might not have the time or resources to do it when you’re already managing a successful business. Fortunately, Globalization Partners can help. We have an existing subsidiary in the country, and we know how to get a work visa in Cape Verde, which means your team can start working on your timeline. We’ll work around the clock to ensure that your expansion process is as smooth as possible.
Types of Working Visas in Cape Verde
Like any other country, Cape Verde has specific procedures in place that foreign nationals must follow if they plan to visit. Citizens of several countries, including the United States, can travel to the country as tourists and stay for up to 30 days without a visa. Visa categories for longer stays include:
- Tourist visas: This type of visa allows the holder to stay in Cape Verde for up to 90 days with the possibility of one extension.
- Official, diplomatic, and courtesy visas: These visas allow multiple entries and a stay of up to 30 days.
- Transit visas: These visas allow foreign nationals to travel through Cape Verde on the way to a destination in another country. A transit visa is valid for four days and is eligible for one extension.
- Temporary visas: This type of visa applies to foreign nationals who plan to travel to Cape Verde one out of a number of possible reasons, including cultural travel, short-term professional activity, and other purposes as decided by immigration authorities. Single- and multiple-entry visas are available.
Cape Verde also offers a residence visa for foreigners in certain circumstances, such as those who plan to work for a local business.
What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Cape Verde Work Visa?
In order to get a residence and work visa in Cabo Verde, foreign nationals will need to submit:
- A valid passport with at least one blank page for the entry stamp
- A recent passport photo
- A completed application form
- An employment contract with a company based in Cape Verde
- Proof of accommodations in Cape Verde
- Payment of the visa fee
Visa requirements can vary from one embassy to another, so applicants should reach out to the nearest diplomatic mission for a comprehensive and up-to-date list. Additional requirements might include a statement of intent to leave Cape Verde after the work contract ends or proof of the applicant’s ability to pay all costs related to the trip.
What Is the Application Process Like for a Cape Verde Work Visa?
To begin the visa application process, foreign employees should locate the nearest embassy or consulate of Cape Verde to confirm the list of required documents. They should then gather the necessary materials and complete the application.
Applicants can apply for a visa by mail or by visiting the embassy in person. After applying, the employee should wait for visa approval in their country of residence. Once the relevant officials approve the visa, the employee can travel to Cape Verde to begin working.
Other Important Considerations
In many cases, visas in Cabo Verde are eligible for renewal if necessary. Employees should begin the renewal process before their visa expires so as to remain in the country without any issues.
Join the Globalization Partners Team Today
If you’re ready to expand your business into Cape Verde and beyond, remember that Globalization Partners is here for you. Our network extends to more than 185 countries around the world, and we’ll use our country-specific expertise and resources to make sure your international endeavors are successful and stress-free for you and your employees. Contact us today to learn more about our comprehensive solution for global expansion.