Is your company exploring the process of expanding operations to the Republic of Namibia? This African nation’s growing economy offers a broad range of opportunities for expatriates and international businesses. Before your company can begin operations overseas, however, you’ll need to make sure your employees have the visas or permits they need to legally live and work in Namibia.
Table of Contents
If your company doesn’t comply with labor laws and regulations abroad, you might face operational delays and costly fines. Fortunately, Globalization Partners can help prevent these issues by acting as your Employer of Record. We’ll hire your employees through our existing subsidiary and take on all the compliance risks of your expansion — starting by offering the support your staff needs to move to Namibia.
Types of Working Visas in Namibia
Like any other country, Namibia has a variety of visas available to foreign nationals. It offers two different categories of work permissions for foreign employees. The key factor in choosing the right one is the length of time the employee plans to live and work in Namibia. The two types are:
- A work visa, which allows the holder to stay in Namibia for relatively short-term assignments for a maximum of three months
- A work permit, which allows the employee to stay and work in the country for one to three years
Many international companies that choose to relocate employees to Namibia opt to obtain work permits rather than visas so that they can take on projects in the long term.
What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Work Permit in Namibia?
Foreign nationals will need to provide the following documents during the work permit application process:
- A signed and completed application form
- A passport that’s valid for at least three months beyond the projected expiration of the work permit
- Two passport photographs
- A letter from the employing company in Namibia
- A copy of the advertisement for the job position, if the employer advertised it
- A medical certificate stating that the applicant is in good health
- A radiological report
- Proof that the applicant has health insurance coverage for their time in Namibia
- A certificate of police clearance from the applicant’s country of residence
- Copies of the applicant’s highest education certificate as well as any other certifications that qualify them for the position
- A copy of the applicant’s marriage certificate, if applicable
Applicants will need to submit all required documents in English.
In addition to these requirements, the employer will also need to provide a variety of documents, such as a copy of the company’s registration document.
How to Get a Work Permit in Namibia: The Application Process
Foreign nationals should begin the work permit application process by getting in touch with the embassy or consulate of Namibia in their country of residence. The diplomatic officials can provide an accurate, up-to-date list of any documents required to support the work permit application.
Prospective employees should then gather all necessary materials and submit the application to the embassy. After applying, they should remain in their country of residence while waiting for approval.
In Namibia, the Ministry of Home Affairs is responsible for the issuance of work permits. Once the relevant officials review the application and make a decision, they’ll notify the prospective employee. Employees can travel to Namibia and start working once they receive their work permits.
Other Key Considerations for Foreign Employees
In general, the process of obtaining a work permit can take anywhere from two to four months. Foreign employees should keep this fact in mind and apply well in advance of their intended start date in Namibia. Employees should also know that if they change jobs during their time in Namibia, they will need to apply for a new work permit.
Stay Compliant in Namibia With Globalization Partners
When you’re ready to begin expanding your business in Namibia, Globalization Partners will be here to guide you through the process. We’ll make sure your company stays compliant with all applicable laws and regulations overseas, and we’ll work around the clock to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible for your international employees. Reach out to us today to learn more about our comprehensive solution for global expansion.