G-P Logo
Request a proposal

SeSweden Visas
& Permits.






Country Capital



Swedish krona (SEK)

Sweden is a member of the European Union (EU), which means that EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals are entitled to work in Sweden without the need to apply for a work permit. If you’re not familiar with how to obtain a work visa for international employees in Sweden, we’ve put together a few helpful guidelines.

Types of work visas in Sweden

Without a valid working visa in Sweden, employees cannot live or work in the country. The employee’s occupation and/or home country will determine if they are eligible for a work and residence permit, an EU Blue Card, or Intra Corporate Transfer (ICT) Permit.

An EU Blue Card is a combined work and residence permit meant for highly skilled workers. Applicants must have jobs in certain professions, a university degree, or 5 years of professional work experience. Expats who work for a company outside the EU and are transferring to a branch in Sweden should apply for an ICT permit. However, this avenue only applies to employees in managerial or specialist positions.

In April 2022, Sweden announced a new residence permit for highly qualified jobseekers, startups, and those looking to start a business in Sweden. Qualified professionals can apply for temporary residency while they look for a job or start a business. This temporary permit is good for 3 to 9 months.

Requirements to obtain work visas in Sweden

Both employees and employers must meet certain requirements to obtain a work visa in Sweden. The requirements for employees include:

  • A valid passport
  • Job offer with terms equal to a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) or the occupation’s standard
  • Employment contract
  • A yearly gross salary of at least SEK 318,720 or a salary on par with the position
  • Employment offer with health insurance, life insurance, and social security
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Intention to leave the country once the employment contract ends

All employers must also meet requirements to hire international employees for jobs in Sweden. For example, the position must be advertised in the EU/EEA for at least 10 days. It also needs to include terms that are similar to other jobs in the same industry.

As of November 2022, residence permit applicants in Sweden are required to present their original passports in person within 30 days of the consulate’s request before the application can be approved.

Application process

While the steps to get a work visa in Sweden can change depending on the type of visa, the general application process includes:

  • A job offer: Companies should submit a written job offer to the employee after obtaining approval from the right trade union regarding the job and salary. Make sure the offer includes a specific length of employment, as this will determine how long the visa will last.
  • Starting the application: Employers must start the online visa application with the Swedish Migration Agency. You will need the employee’s date of birth, citizenship information, education, and email.
  • Receiving an email: After starting the application with the Swedish Migration Agency, the applicant will receive an email to start their side of the process. They will need to indicate whether they are moving alone or with family.
  • Submitting all relevant documents: Employees must submit a copy of their passport, an employment offer, and a statement from the trade union.
  • Paying the fee: Most work permits cost around SEK 2,200.
  • Waiting for the permit to get issued: Most expats working for a company in Sweden need to wait 1 to 3 months to get their work permit. However, the wait time can vary based on the industry they are working in, whether someone submitted their application online or in-person, and whether they are self-employed or work for a company.

Other important considerations

In May 2023, Sweden announced a new process for obtaining work visas. Employers will be required to submit applications for one of the following categories:

  • Category A: Highly qualified workers including managerial roles and jobs requiring higher education.
  • Category B: Specific occupations with their own rules such as seasonal jobs and EU Blue Card permits.
  • Category C: Non-highly qualified jobs.
  • Category D: Permit applications for sectors such as cleaning, construction, hotels, and restaurants.

Discover how G-P can help you manage your global teams.

At G-P, we’re committed to breaking down barriers to global business, enabling opportunity for everyone, everywhere, and helping companies tap into the fullest potential of their workforce. We help you maintain full compliance with local laws and ensure everything from hiring and onboarding to paying employees is quick and easy, regardless of where they are in the world.

Find out more about how our Global Growth Platform™ can help you grow your team across the globe.

For this particular location, G-P may be able to support in the processing of certain work visas and permits. Contact us today to assess your specific needs.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in

Book a demo
Share This Guide