G-P Logo
Request a proposal

KrSouth Korea Visas
& Permits.






Country Capital



Korean Republic won (₩) (KRW)

If your company is planning to scale in South Korea, you’ll need a talented group of employees to make the move. It can be challenging to obtain permits for international employees as South Korea has many temporary visa types, as well as 8 different work permit categories. This complexity can make it more difficult for companies to know what visas their workers need and how to obtain them; however, this general information should help get you started.

Types of work visas in South Korea

There are several types of work visas in South Korea that allow for long-term employment. The following are a few examples:

  • E-1 Professor Visa: International workers wanting to give lectures or do research in their field at a college-level education facility should apply for this visa. It’s a multiple-entry option valid for 1 year, and employees can typically renew it in 1-year intervals.
  • E-2 Foreign Language Instructor Visa: This visa is an option for international workers looking to teach conversational language at a foreign language institute, language research institute, educational institute higher than elementary school, or language training institute affiliated with an enterprise, broadcasting company, or other equivalent organization. It’s a multiple-entry visa valid for 2 years and can be renewed every 2 years by the employee.
  • E-3 Research Visa: This visa is for workers researching natural science or advanced industrial technology through an invitation by a local public or private institution. The E-3 is another multiple-entry visa valid for 1 year with the option to renew every year.
  • E-4 Technical Instructor/ Technician: Workers with unmatched experience in natural science or technology can enter South Korea on an E-4 visa when invited by a local public or private organization. A multiple-entry version of this visa is good for 1 year and can be renewed each year, while a single-entry visa is good for 3 months and can also be renewed every year.
  • E-5 Professional Visa: The E-5 visa is for architects, lawyers, physicians, accountants, and more who are internationally licensed and have permission from the government to practice their chosen field. Workers can choose between a multiple-entry visa to stay for 1 year and renew in 1-year intervals or a single-entry visa to stay for 3 months.
  • E-6 Culture and Art Visa: Expats with musical, artistic, or literary backgrounds can work in a variety of jobs to obtain this multiple-entry visa valid for 1 year, which can be renewed every year as well.
  • E-7 Foreign National of Special Ability Visa: This visa is for international workers who have a contract to do specialized work in South Korea. Workers can choose the multiple-entry option to stay for 1 to 3 years and can renew it in 1- to 3-year intervals. They can also obtain a single-entry visa for 3 months and renew it every year.
  • D-5 Long-Term News Coverage Visa: This visa is specifically meant for reporters working in media such as broadcasting, newspapers, magazines, and more. It’s good for 3 months and can be renewed yearly.

Requirements to obtain South Korea work visas

Every South Korea work visa has different requirements. However, most mandate that the applicant submit a completed application form, an original passport and copies, and a colored passport-size photo. Other requirements may include:

  • A copy of the employment contract
  • Educational and professional certificates
  • Criminal record
  • Recommendation letter

Application process

South Korea allows both online and in-person visa applications, including:

  • E-visa application through the visa portal
  • Application from an international South Korea diplomatic mission
  • Confirmation of the visa on the portal
  • Confirmation of the visa at a South Korea immigration office

The type of job will often determine what visa the worker needs and how they should apply for it. Keep in mind that your company must have a legal entity in South Korea to obtain an application for employees and act as a sponsor.

Other important considerations

Employees who want to bring their family members to South Korea will need to complete an extra step. A spouse and any unmarried minor children must obtain F-3 visas to come to South Korea. Their duration of stay will be restricted to the validity period of the principal applicant’s visa. Other family members will only be allowed a single-entry visa that is valid for 3 months. However, they can renew this visa every year.

Discover how G-P can help you manage your global teams.

At G-P, we’re committed to breaking down barriers to global business, enabling opportunity for everyone, everywhere, and helping companies tap into the fullest potential of their workforce. We help you maintain full compliance with local laws and ensure everything from hiring and onboarding to paying employees is quick and easy, regardless of where they are in the world.

Find out more about how our Global Growth Platform™ can help you grow your team across the globe.

For this particular location, G-P does not offer support or sponsor the processing of work visas and permits. For any other inquiries, contact us today.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in
KrSouth Korea.

Book a demo
Share This Guide