Tanzania offers a wide variety of opportunities for expatriates and international businesses alike. However, with these opportunities come an array of challenges. If you plan to expand your company to Tanzania, you’ll need to put together a skilled team of employees. Many international companies choose to relocate some existing workers and hire new talent abroad. If you take this route, it will be up to you to make sure foreign employees who make the move to Tanzania with you have the appropriate visas and work permits.
Table of Contents
If you’re unfamiliar with the work visa application process in Tanzania, Globalization Partners can help. We’ll hire your employees through our existing business entity in Tanzania, taking the burden of your expansion off your shoulders and ensuring that the transition is seamless for you and your international staff.
What Types of Working Visas Are Available in Tanzania?
Like any other country, Tanzania has specific guidelines in place for foreign nationals who plan to travel within its borders. A variety of visas are available to foreigners, and the most common types follow:
- Tourist/ordinary visa: This visa allows tourists and other visitors to travel to Tanzania through designated entry points along the border
- Business visa: This visa applies to foreigners who intend to invest in Tanzania and need to visit for related purposes, such as establishing professional contacts and conducting feasibility studies.
- Multiple-entry visa: Tanzanian officials issue this visa to foreigners who need to travel to the country frequently, typically for business and investment purposes. The validity of this visa ranges from a month to a year.
- Transit visa: This visa allows foreigners to travel through Tanzania without visiting on their way to another destination.
- Diplomatic visa: The diplomatic visa applies to diplomats and other representatives who plan to travel to Tanzania on official business.
In addition to these visas, Tanzania offers three different categories of work and residence permits:
- Class A permits for foreign investors
- Class B permits for foreign employees with specialized skills who are filling a position for which there are no eligible workers in Tanzania
- Class C permits for missionaries, volunteers, students, researchers, and more
Most employees will need to get a Class B work permit in Tanzania.
What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Tanzanian Work Visa?
Visa requirements for foreigners who plan to travel to Tanzania include:
- A completed visa application form
- A passport that is valid for at least six months after the applicant’s intended date of entry
- Five passport photos
- Proof of vaccination against yellow fever
- Evidence of sufficient financial means
To get a Class B work and residence permit, applicants will need to provide the following:
- A signed employment contract
- A valid passport
- Passport photographs
- A copy of the applicant’s CV
- Copies of academic records and other qualifications for the job, including referrals from previous employers
How to Get a Work Visa in Tanzania: The Application Process
Foreign nationals who need a visa should begin the application process by finding the Tanzanian embassy or consulate in their country of residence. The embassy will be able to provide an accurate, updated list of the visa requirements. After confirming the list of documents needed to support the application, the employee should gather all required items and submit them to the embassy.
If the employee needs a Class B permit, it’s up to the employer to apply for it on their behalf before they can travel to Tanzania. The employee will need to send the necessary documents to the employer in support of the application. The employer will also have to prove the need for a foreign hire to the Ministry of Labor.
Once the relevant officials issue the work and residence permit, the employee can travel to Tanzania to start working.
Other Unique Considerations for Foreign Employees in Tanzania
Foreign employees can bring spouses and dependents to Tanzania with them on the basis of their residence permit. However, they’ll need to provide marriage and birth certificates along with the other supporting documents.
Bolster Your Expansion With Globalization Partners
When you’re ready to expand your business, Globalization Partners will be here to guide you through the Tanzanian visa application process as well as other steps involved with expansion and compliance. We’ll make sure your company is compliant overseas from day one, and we’ll take on any additional administrative hurdles as they arise. Reach out to us today to learn more about our comprehensive solution for employing top talent in Tanzania and beyond.