Request a ProposalDownloadShare

Czech Republic Work Visas and Permits

Reading Time: 3 minutes

The Czech Republic’s central placement in Europe makes it an attractive location for foreign employees and international businesses. If you’re planning an expansion to the country, you can take advantage of good transportation and infrastructure links. However, you’ll also need to worry about meeting compliance laws related to Czech Republic work visas and permits.

Working with Globalization Partners means you don’t need to worry about how to get a work visa for every employee in the Czech Republic. As the Employer of Record, we’ll take care of everything from hiring employees on your behalf to obtaining work visas. Our team will work hard every day to make sure you’re staying compliant so that you can focus on building your company and its bottom line.

Types of Czech Republic Work Visas to Choose From

Foreigners not from the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) must apply for a Schengen visa before entering the Czech Republic. About 40 states also have agreements with the country that allow citizens to stay for up to 90 days as long as the visit isn’t related to employment or business.

The Czech Republic has two main visa categories — long-term and short-term Schengen visas. Your employees are eligible to apply for either one for employment purposes, but they’ll still need a work permit to stay compliant. The differences between the visas follow:

  • Short-term: A short-term visa allows holders to stay within the area for no more than 90 days over 180 days. This larger category is broken into further visa types depending on the reason for the holder’s visit, such as business, employment, study, or tourism.
  • Long-term: Anyone planning on staying in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days needs a long-term Schengen visa. The application process is lengthier and may include an interview at the Czech diplomatic mission where the individual applies.

In addition to these Czech Republic working visas, the country has two long-term permits that act as both residence and work permits — the EU Blue Card and the employee card. EU Blue Cards are only eligible for EU citizens labeled as highly qualified individuals. Nationals from non-European countries can apply for an employee card if they offer skills and qualifications the country needs.

Requirements to Obtain a Czech Republic Work Visa

Requirements for a Czech Republic working visa depend on the type of visa your employees need. All Schengen visas require:

  • A completed application form
  • A passport valid for at least three months before departure
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • Documents outlining the nature of the applicant’s stay, such as a work permit
  • Proof of travel medical insurance
  • Proof of intention to leave the country once the visa expires, including a plane ticket
  • Proof of accommodation for the duration of the stay
  • A document outlining the nature of the applicant’s stay
  • A criminal record from the country of residence
  • Proof of financial security
  • Payment of visa application fees

What Is the Application Process Like for a Czech Republic Work Permit?

The application process for a Czech Republic work permit rests on both the employer and the employee. Foreigners can work only in positions where you couldn’t find any suitable candidates within the Czech Republic or other EU member states. When you meet the country’s conditions, you can submit a work permit application to the Labor Office in the district where you’ll employ the foreigner. Your employees must have a work permit before entering the Czech Republic, or you’ll be held liable.

For employees to gain work permits, you must submit the following documents on their behalf:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of address in the foreigner’s country of permanent residence
  • Your company’s identification information
  • Information about the place, duration, and type of work
  • Declaration from you saying that you will employ the foreigner
  • Notarized copies of all academic and professional qualifications
  • Payment of the administration fee

What Else Should You Consider?

Every non-EU citizen has to register with the Foreign Police Department or at an office of the Ministry of Interior within three working days of arriving. Within 30 days, they must register at their local Foreigners’ Police Inspectorate or an office of the Ministry of Interior. EU Blue Card holders and prospective employees also need to go to the Ministry of Interior’s Department of Asylum and Migration Policy to provide biometric data within three days of arriving.

Choose Globalization Partners as Your Global PEO

Globalization Partners provides a host of services through our Global Expansion Platform™. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you during an expansion.

Download this content in PDF