Kazakhstan Work Visas & Permits
Is your company in the process of expanding globally? Many companies choose to begin operations in Kazakhstan, in part because the country’s work culture is similar to that of Western nations. Kazakhstan also has the largest economy in Central Asia. It’s a great place to expand to, but it’s important to ensure that all of your employees have the appropriate visas and permits to work in Kazakhstan. By doing so, your company can avoid fees and operational delays.
As a global PEO, we have access to all the information and resources your company needs for a smooth transition to operating in Kazakhstan. From hiring employees and securing work visas to setting up compensation and benefits, Globalization Partners is here for you. Our team of global experts will ensure that your company is compliant in Kazakhstan so that you can focus on what you do best: running your company and growing your bottom line.
What Visas Are Available in Kazakhstan?
In Kazakhstan, there are five types of working visas for foreign employees:
- M1 visa: This visa is granted to foreign workers who have been issued a work permit from an employer in Kazakhstan.
- M2 visa: M2 visas are issued to the dependents of foreign workers who hold M1 visas.
- M3 visa: This visa is granted to foreign nationals who need to travel to Kazakhstan to finalize their work permit with local authorities.
- M4 visa: This visa is for “business immigrants,” or entrepreneurs.
- M5 visa: M5 visas are issued to seasonal employees.
The M1 visa is the most common, and the majority of your employees are likely to need it.
Requirements to Obtain a Kazakhstan Work Visa
To obtain work visas for your employees, your company will require visa support from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kazakhstan. You’ll need to provide the following documents:
- A letter confirming the employer’s invitation to the foreign worker
- A notarized copy of the employing company’s current charter
- A notarized copy of the work permit
- The employer’s power of attorney
- Evidence that the employer has no outstanding taxes
- Proof of payment for the consular fee
To obtain the M1 visa itself, the following documents must be submitted:
- A completed visa application form
- The passport of the applicant
- One passport-size photograph
- A receipt proving payment of the consular fee
How to Get a Kazakhstan Work Visa: The Application Process
The application process varies depending on the type of visa your employees need, the job title and salary, and a variety of other factors. In general, the process begins with a labor market search to determine whether any eligible job seekers in Kazakhstan could fill the position. This search should be initiated by the employer.
After you establish the need for a foreign worker, your employee should undergo a health screening. As the employer, your company should then submit a work permit application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs along with the relevant documents.
After the work permit is issued, the employee should visit the embassy or consulate of Kazakhstan in their country to apply for an entry visa. To support the application, the employee may be asked to provide their employment contract, CV, proof of accommodations in Kazakhstan, and other documents. Contacting the embassy is the best way to ensure that the employee has all the proper documentation before applying.
After obtaining a visa and traveling to Kazakhstan, employees will need to register with the Migration Police.
Other Unique Considerations
The government in Kazakhstan limits the number of work permits granted to foreign nationals each year. Because of this restriction and the relatively complicated process for obtaining a visa, many companies choose to secure visas for only skilled foreign employees and hire Kazakhstani citizens when it’s possible to do so.
Expanding Internationally? Globalization Partners Can Help
Whether this is your company’s first time expanding operations into another country or you already have an international presence, it can always be helpful to have an experienced global PEO on your side. Globalization Partners will ensure that your endeavors in Kazakhstan start off on the right foot.
To learn more about obtaining work visas in Kazakhstan for all of your employees, reach out to us today.