Is your company planning to outsource or expand operations to Montenegro? This Balkan nation has plenty of potential for international business, but you’ll need to put together a talented team of employees who are willing to relocate with you. You’ll also need to make sure they have the appropriate permits to live and work in Montenegro legally.
If this is your company’s first time expanding internationally, you’ll want to have an experienced global PEO on your side for support. If you have a global presence already, you likely know just how challenging it can be to understand and comply with the regulations in a new country. Either way, Globalization Partners is here to help.
We know how to get work visas in Montenegro, set up payroll and compensation, and more. Our team will handle your expansion from start to finish.
What Types of Working Visas Are Available in Montenegro?
To regulate the employment of foreign nationals in Montenegro, the Montenegrin government issues three different types of work permits:
- Personal work permits: This permit can be issued to foreign nationals who reside in Montenegro. It may be issued for up to one year, and the holder of a personal work permit has free access to the labor market during the time when the permit is valid.
- Employment permits: Employment permits are issued to foreign nationals upon the request of an employer in Montenegro.
- Work permits: A work permit is issued for seasonal employment, training, contractual work, and other business purposes that are limited to a short period of time.
To simplify the application process, we recommend obtaining employment permits for any foreign nationals who plan to work for your company in Montenegro.
Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Montenegro
To apply for a Montenegrin employment permit, foreign nationals should gather the following documents for submission:
- A valid passport
- Proof of health insurance
- A police background check from the applicant’s country of origin
- A police background check from Montenegro
- An employment offer from a company based in Montenegro
- Evidence that the applicant has the financial means to support themselves in Montenegro, such as a bank statement or proof of salary issued by the employer
What Is the Application Process Like for a Work Visa in Montenegro?
Before applying for an employment permit, foreign nationals will need to obtain a residence permit to live in Montenegro. To get this permit, applicants should visit the Montenegrin embassy or consulate in their country of residence and provide all the necessary documents to support the application.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Montenegro will issue a residence permit on the grounds of a work permit. It’s important to note that applicants will need to obtain a work permit in order for their residence permit to be valid.
For individuals who do not need a visa to enter Montenegro, the employer in Montenegro is responsible for initiating the employment permit request. Foreign nationals who do need a visa will need to apply for a permit at the embassy in their country of residence. Either way, once the employment permit is approved and issued, the employee may travel to Montenegro and begin working.
All work permits are issued by the Employment Bureau of Montenegro. It typically takes about one month for a Montenegrin work permit to be issued, so it’s recommended that foreign employees begin the process well in advance of their planned departure date.
Other Key Considerations
Montenegro is not currently a member of the European Union (EU). Therefore, visa and work permit requirements apply to citizens of EU member states as well as foreign nationals from other countries outside of Europe. That said, Montenegro is a candidate for accession to the EU, and these requirements are subject to change in the future.
Go Global Today With Globalization Partners
As your company expands operations to Montenegro and beyond, you’ll want to have a team of global experts on your side. As your trusted global PEO, Globalization Partners will take on the risks of your expansion and provide the support you need to stay compliant in Montenegro from day one. To learn more about the advantages of our Global Expansion solution, contact us today.