Having trusted resources to set up Saint Kitts and Nevis payroll is critical to optimize your processes. From national labor laws to local market standards, your business must meet regional requirements and provide competitive benefits that can attract professionals to join your team. With Globalization Partners, you can get the functionality your business requires and ensure you have what you need to administer payroll in a new country seamlessly.
Taxation Rules in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Employees do not need to pay a personal income tax in the country, so you are not responsible for withholding income funds. Employers are required to pay a social security tax of 5 percent of each employee’s income.
As an employer, you may be responsible for paying a corporate income tax. You are also required to contribute 1 percent of employee earnings to a Severance Payment Contribution and an additional 1 percent tax to cover employment injury.
Saint Kitts and Nevis Payroll Options for Companies
Companies expanding internationally have several primary possibilities for payroll management:
- Subsidiary: A subsidiary establishes legal standing for your company overseas so you can administer payroll. This option is convenient for managing payments but requires considerable resources to develop.
- Payroll processing company: Some businesses choose to work with a local company to manage payroll administration in-country. If you use one of these companies’ services, however, you may have high fees to pay, and your business will be fully liable for any processing errors that may occur.
- Internal payroll processing: To reduce transactional costs, you may consider having your internal team handle payroll. Keep in mind that this option puts all the legal risk on your company.
- Global Employer of Record (EOR): With Globalization Partners, you get convenient management without any liability. As your Employer of Record (EOR), we’ll use our in-country expertise to address your payroll needs while assuming all the legal risk on your behalf.
How to Set Up a Payroll in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Managing payroll for your local employees requires that you have a business entity in the country. The process of establishing a subsidiary will cost significant time and money, but you will be able to administer payroll internally once you’ve completed the setup. If you’re looking for a more practical option that doesn’t involve your own subsidiary, Globalization Partners can handle payroll compliance and administration for you through entities we already have established internationally.
You may terminate employment without notice at any point during an employee’s probationary period. Following that, you can terminate without notice due to certain factors including serious employee misconduct and persistent lack of satisfactory performance after warnings. Termination due to an employee’s demographic, background, union membership, or other such factors is prohibited.
Suppose you dismiss an employee for other justified reasons, such as redundancy, market changes outside of your control, or other changes in your company. In that case, you are responsible for providing sufficient notice:
- One week’s notice: For three months to a year of employment
- Two weeks’ notice: For one year to three years of employment
- Three weeks’ notice: For three years to five years of employment
- Four weeks’ notice: For five years to seven years of employment
- Five weeks’ notice: For seven years to 10 years of employment
- Six weeks’ notice: For 10 years to 15 years of employment
- Ten weeks’ notice: For over 15 years of employment
In these situations, you are obligated to provide severance pay equivalent to:
- Two weeks’ wages for each year of work up to five years
- Three weeks’ wages per year for five to 10 years
- Four weeks’ wages for over 10 years of employment
Payroll Processing Company in Saint Kitts and Nevis
Globalization Partners offers payroll outsourcing solutions to address your critical requirements as your company grows in Saint Kitts and Nevis. For more information on what we have to offer, get in touch with us today.