Slovak Republic Work Visas & Permits
Slovakia, which is officially known as the Slovak Republic, is a desirable location for expatriates due to its high-income economy, rising living standards, and resilience in the face of a relatively recent financial crisis. If your company is planning to expand or outsource operations in this European nation, you’ll need to make sure any foreign employees who plan to relocate have the appropriate permits and visas to live and work there legally.
What Types of Work Visas Does the Government Issue in Slovakia?
The Slovak Republic is part of the Schengen Area. This means that foreign nationals from nonvisa-exempt countries will need a Schengen visa to enter Slovakia. Several categories of Schengen visas are available, but the three most common types are the:
- Airport transit visa: This visa allows foreign nationals to travel through Slovakia on their way to another destination.
- Entry visa: An entry visa allows foreign nationals to enter the Slovak Republic for short-term purposes.
- Long-stay visa: A long-stay visa allows foreign nationals to remain in the Slovak Republic for an extended period of time.
Foreign nationals who intend to work in Slovakia will need to obtain a Slovak work permit as well as a residence permit.
Requirements to Obtain a Slovak Working Visa
Foreign nationals will need the following documents to apply for a Slovakian Schengen visa:
- A completed application form
- A valid passport containing at least two blank pages
- Two recent passport photographs
- Proof of sufficient financial means
- Proof that the applicant has travel medical insurance coverage for their stay in Slovakia
- An employment contract with a company based in the Slovak Republic
To apply for a permit to work in the Slovak Republic, foreign nationals should be prepared to submit the following documents:
- A valid passport
- A signed application form completed in the Slovak language
- An employment contract or official job offer from an employer based in Slovakia
- Officially translated documents that support the applicant’s professional and educational qualifications for the position
The Slovakian Labour Office may require additional documents on a case-by-case basis.
How to Get a Work Visa in the Slovak Republic: The Application Process
Before a foreign employee can apply for a Slovakian work permit, the employer must report the job opening to the Labour Office. Their doing so provides an opportunity for the Labour Office to find an eligible Slovakian citizen to fill the position. After 15 business days, the employee can move forward with the work permit application process.
Foreign nationals can begin the application process at the Slovakian embassy or consulate in their country of residence. However, it’s more common for the employer to initiate the application on behalf of the employee. Employers can submit the work permit application directly to the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, and Family in the Slovak Republic.
In addition to a work permit, foreign nationals will require a residence permit. The Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs is responsible for the issuance of residence permits for foreign nationals who intend to live and work in Slovakia. Like with the work permit, foreign employees should lodge this application before leaving their country of residence for Slovakia.
Once the appropriate officials have issued a work permit and a residence permit, foreign nationals will be free to travel to the Slovak Republic and begin working for your company.
Other Important Considerations for Foreign Workers in Slovakia
Slovakia is a full member of the European Union (EU). Therefore, citizens of other EU member states or countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) are exempt from work permit and visa requirements. However, the employer will still need to register their arrival with the appropriate authorities within a week of the start of employment. EU and EEA nationals will also need to provide a confirmed address in Slovakia for tax purposes.
Trust Globalization Partners to Ensure Your Business Stays Compliant Abroad
As you navigate the process of expanding your business in the Slovak Republic, the team of global experts at Globalization Partners will be on your side with all of the resources and support you need to succeed.
To learn more about the advantages of conducting business abroad with our Global Expansion Platform™, contact us today.