Tajikistan Work Visas & Permits
Is your company planning to expand or outsource operations in Tajikistan? This Asian country has a developing economy, but it still presents opportunities for growth if you’re willing to put in the effort for your business. Like any other country, however, Tajikistan has a unique set of laws and regulations for international companies that choose to do business there.
If you’re planning to relocate some of your existing employees to Tajikistan to ease the transition, one of your first tasks will be obtaining the permits and visas they need to work in the country legally. Unfortunately, this process can be time-consuming if you’re already focused on managing a successful company. If you’re unfamiliar with the Tajik visa application process, Globalization Partners can help.
What Kinds of Work Visas Are Available to Foreigners in Tajikistan?
Foreign nationals who wish to travel to Tajikistan have a variety of visas available to them. Some common visa categories include:
- Diplomatic: This visa allows diplomats, government officials, and other representatives to travel to Tajikistan for official purposes.
- Investment: An investment visa, or Type C visa, grants entry to the heads or representatives of foreign companies who are investing in Tajikistan’s economy.
- Business: This visa, also called a K visa, allows the holder to travel to Tajikistan for short-term business purposes.
- Working: A working visa, or M visa, lets the holder travel to Tajikistan to work for a locally registered company.
- Tourist: A tourist or T visa allows foreign nationals to visit Tajikistan for the purpose of tourism.
- Educational: This visa, also called an O-2 visa, grants entry to international students.
Any foreign citizen who plans to live and work in the Republic of Tajikistan will need to obtain a working visa. The same goes for any family members who plan to travel with them. In addition to the working visa, foreign employees will also need to obtain a work permit before they can officially begin their job. The requirements to obtain a Tajikistan visa follow:
- A passport that has at least two blank pages and three months of validity
- A signed employment contract with a company based in Tajikistan
- A letter of invitation from the applicant’s employer
What Is the Application Process Like for a Tajikistan Working Visa?
Rather than going directly to the embassy or diplomatic mission of Tajikistan in their country of residence, foreign nationals should submit their applications to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs online. Applicants should gather the supporting documents ahead of time, as they’ll need to upload documentation with the application.
After applying online, the applicant will receive an email with further instructions and an invitation to visit the Tajik embassy or consulate to submit their fingerprints, have a photograph taken, and complete the application process with an interview.
On the day of the appointment, the applicant should bring their passport as well as their invitation letter and any other documents specified in the email. They should then remain in their country of residence while waiting for the relevant officials to approve their visa application.
Upon approval of the application, the diplomatic officials will notify the applicant so that they can return to the embassy to pick the visa up along with their passport. The applicant will need to pay the visa fee at this time. After collecting the working visa, the employee can travel to Tajikistan.
Foreign employees will also need to obtain a work permit before they can start working. In Tajikistan, the Migratory service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs is responsible for the issuance of work permits.
Other Important Considerations
In Tajikistan, working visas are valid for an initial period of up to three months. Once those three months pass, foreign employees can get a visa extension on the basis of their work permit.
Power Your International Expansion With Globalization Partners
Don’t let borders be boundaries for your company. As your trusted global PEO, Globalization Partners is here to make sure the transition to operating in Tajikistan is as quick and efficient as possible for you and your international team. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can help you employ top talent and succeed overseas.