Is your company planning to expand operations internationally? Andorra is small in size, but this European nation presents a wealth of opportunities for growing companies. You’ll face a wide variety of challenges during your expansion, including recruiting a team of talented employees who are willing to make the move with you. Before they can begin working in Andorra, however, you’ll need to make sure they have the right permits and visas to do so.
Table of Contents
Learning about labor laws and immigration procedures in an unfamiliar country can be challenging, especially if you’re already busy running a successful company. Fortunately, Globalization Partners already has an established presence in Andorra and more than 185 other countries. We know how to get a work visa in Andorra, and we’ll leverage our resources and expertise to make sure your expansion happens as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
What Kinds of Work Visas Are Available in Andorra?
Andorra offers a range of visas and permits for foreign nationals. A tourist with a passport can stay in Andorra for up to 90 days. Foreigners who plan to stay longer will need to obtain a visa from one of the following categories:
- Seasonal work permits: Seasonal work is common in Andorra, so there’s a policy in place for foreigners who plan to live and work in the country temporarily. A seasonal employee can enter the same way as a tourist, but they’ll need to leave as soon as their work contract ends.
- Passive residency permit: Foreign nationals who plan to remain in Andorra for more than 90 days without working in the country can do so with passive residency status. Passive residents must contribute to the Andorran economy by investing.
- Active residency permit: Active residents are foreign nationals who live and work in Andorra. Active residency permits are available to self-employed foreigners as well as those who have contracts to work for local companies.
Your employees most likely fall into the category of active residency.
Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Andorra
Foreign nationals who plan to live and work in Andorra will need to present a variety of documents in support of their application. The requirements include:
- An original valid passport, along with a photocopy
- One passport photograph
- An employment contract with a company based in Andorra
- A copy of the applicant’s CV
- Proof of the applicant’s academic title, such as a diploma
- Any other proof of the applicant’s qualifications for the position
- A birth certificate
- A marriage certificate, if applicable
- A police background check from the applicant’s country of origin as well as one from their current country of residence and any other countries they’ve lived in before, if applicable
- Proof of accommodations in Andorra
- The original certificate of registration for the employing company as well as a photocopy
What Is the Application Process Like for Andorran Working Visas?
Before beginning the process of applying for active residency, foreign nationals will need to secure an employment contract with an Andorran company. The company cannot hire a foreign employee until they have advertised the position within the local employment pool.
After establishing the need for a foreign hire, the employer can start the process of sponsoring the employee. The employee should gather all necessary documents to submit to the Andorran Ministry of the Interior, Immigration Service, and Department of Labor.
The employee must also register with the social security system in Andorra — Caixa Andorrana de Seguretat Social, or CASS.
After completing these steps, the employee should remain in their country of residence while waiting for a decision from the immigration authorities. Upon approval, they’ll receive their active residency permit. They can then travel to Andorra and start working.
Other Important Considerations
Each year, Andorra has a set quota of available permits for foreigners who want to reside in the country with active residency. Andorran companies should keep this fact in mind during the process of hiring foreign workers.
Join the Globalization Partners Team to Power Growth in Andorra
Don’t let borders be boundaries as your company grows. As your trusted global PEO, Globalization Partners will be here for you when you’re ready to expand abroad. Contact us today to learn more about how our comprehensive solution can help you employ top talent in Andorra and beyond.