Request a ProposalDownloadShare

Hong Kong Work Visas & Permits

Reading Time: 3 minutes

It’s notoriously difficult for companies to obtain work visas in Hong Kong, as the country typically fills vacancies with local professionals. However, knowing the right qualifications and doing the proper research will help you demonstrate that your employees are well-qualified for the job. Plus, the visa application process in the country is free, which is a benefit for many companies.

Globalization Partners knows how difficult it can be to focus on getting work visas in Hong Kong when you’re also concentrating on a global expansion. As a global PEO, we have the staff and expertise to know about and handle all parts of your expansion, including how to get a work visa in Hong Kong. Our team will take on the risk through our Hong Kong PEO while you focus on growing your company.

What Types of Hong Kong Work Visas Are There?

Most people moving to Hong Kong for a job apply for a work visa under the General Employment Policy (GEP). These types of visas are usually issued only for a specific period. To be eligible, candidates must have a confirmed job offer with an employer who is sponsoring them.

Some other common Hong Kong work permits include the following:

  • Technology talent admission scheme: This work visa is for professionals who specialize in certain technology sectors, including artificial intelligence and financial technologies.
  • Training: The training option is a work visa for individuals who are looking to learn a skill or gain specific knowledge and who want to live in Hong Kong for up to a year.
  • Quality migrant admission scheme: Expats from certain professions can relocate to Hong Kong using this visa. The program has 1,000 slots for IT, financial, legal, and creative individuals who do not have an existing job offer.
  • Immigration arrangements for non-local graduates: This visa is for people with a degree from Hong Kong. Within six months of graduation, they can apply to stay in the city for up to a year to look for local employment.

Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Hong Kong

If your employees are applying for a Hong Kong work permit under the GEP,  they need to include a statement from you describing the position. The Immigration Department will assess the application for:

  • A graduate degree
  • Necessary professional experience
  • Salary and working conditions comparable to local standards
  • Contribution to the local economy
  • Lack of a local to fill the particular position

Sometimes it’s difficult for companies to prove that they couldn’t find a local to fill a position, especially if they’re recruiting individuals from around the world. That said, the immigration authorities typically accept the proof they receive.

If your employees have family they would like to bring to Hong Kong, they’ll need to meet additional requirements. For example, employees must prove that they have a genuine marriage and dependent children under the age of 18. They need to show that they can financially support a family and provide the right accommodations. If a spouse wants to work in Hong Kong as well, they can do so through an extra work permit.

Steps for Getting a Work Visa in Hong Kong

First, employees need to fill out the right application form for their requested visa and attach all the required documents. If the documents are in any other language besides English or Chinese, the employee must provide a translation. They will also need a valid travel document from their home country.

Applications can be mailed or handed in personally. They can go either directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department or the nearest Chinese mission. If your employee is a foreign national living on the Chinese Mainland, they can submit their visa application in Beijing at the Hong Kong government’s office. Another option is to file the application through a local sponsor, such as a prospective employer.

Other Important Considerations for Hong Kong Working Visas

While the typical employment visa is valid only in the short-term, employees can get an extension once it expires. They should apply at least four weeks before the expiration date. Most employment visas will follow a two-three-three-year extension pattern. The only exception is a fixed employment contract that runs out before the visa expires, in which the extension will be shortened accordingly.

Trust Globalization Partners for Work Visa Help

Globalization Partners will use our Hong Kong PEO to help you expand quickly. We’ll make sure all of your employees get the work permits they need to start work for your company immediately. Contact us today to learn more about our services.

Download this content in PDF