Is your company planning a global expansion? Lithuania has become a popular destination for foreign job-seekers in recent years, but if your company is considering a move to the country, you’ll need to have an understanding of the process for foreign employees to live and work in the country legally.
If you’re not sure how to obtain the necessary Lithuania work permits and visas, the Globalization Partners team can help. As a global PEO, we have a team of experts and a subsidiary in Lithuania. We can handle the immigration process on behalf of your company and employees.
Types of Work Visas in Lithuania
Like any other country, Lithuania has a unique set of laws regarding immigration and foreign nationals who wish to work in the country. It’s part of the European Union (EU), which means citizens of other EU member states do not need a work permit or visa. For citizens outside of the EU, there are several visa options.
Individuals who plan to work in Lithuania will generally need to obtain two separate documents: a work permit and a visa to enter and stay in Lithuania. The visa required for foreign employees is referred to as a national visa (D).
Requirements to Obtain a Lithuanian Work Visa
It is the employer’s responsibility to apply for a work permit on behalf of the foreign employee. The employee should provide the employer with the necessary documents, which include:
- Proof of qualifications for the job, such as previous professional experience and education
- Personal identifying information
In addition to a work permit, the employee will need to apply for a national visa. Several documents are required for the application, including:
- An application form for a national visa, completed using the electronic application form
- A passport that has been issued within the last 10 years, contains two or more blank pages, and is valid at least three months after the duration of the visa
- A passport photo, which should be in color
- A letter of mediation from the employer, which should be submitted electronically
- A work permit
- Proof of sufficient funds and means of income
- Proof of health insurance
How to Get a Work Visa in Lithuania: The Application Process
The process of obtaining a work permit in Lithuania is a collaboration between the foreign national and the employer in the country. Here’s an overview of the entire process, from the initial employment offer to the employee’s first day on the job:
- A foreign national accepts a job offer from an employer in Lithuania.
- The potential employee submits the relevant documents to the employer.
- The employer submits the work permit application to the Lithuanian Labour Exchange.
- The Labour Exchange issues the work permit.
- The employee applies for a national visa (D) at the Lithuanian consulate or diplomatic mission in their country.
- Upon approval of the visa or residence permit, the employee may enter Lithuania and begin working.
While it’s always recommended to plan ahead when it comes to obtaining work visas, the process is relatively quick in Lithuania. The issuance of a work permit generally takes place within seven business days, and the processing time for a national D visa is approximately 15 working days.
Are There Any Other Important Considerations for Getting a Lithuanian Working Visa?
There are a few circumstances that would allow a non-EU citizen to work in Lithuania without a permit. If the job requires high-level professional qualifications, the employee may instead obtain a decision on compliance with labor market needs. If applicable, this decision is issued by the Migration Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania.
The process to obtain this documentation is similar in that it’s also carried out by the employer. However, employees who are approved under this decision will need to obtain a temporary residence permit in lieu of a national visa (D).
How Globalization Partners Can Help
Our Global Expansion solution makes it easy for companies to expand operations to Lithuania and other countries all around the globe. We can hire employees, set up payroll, handle HR, and so much more. For additional information about the process of obtaining Lithuanian work permits and how the Globalization Partners team can help, reach out to us today.