Mauritania Work Visas & Permits
Mauritania, officially named the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, offers a wide range of opportunities for companies looking to expand into the global market. As in any other country, however, you’ll have a lot of factors to consider before you begin doing business there. For example, you’ll need to set up locally compliant payroll for your employees, and if you want to hire any professionals who are not Mauritanian nationals, you’ll need to make sure they have the appropriate visas and permits to live and work in the country.
Table of Contents
- Types of Work Visas in Mauritania
- What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Mauritania?
- What Is the Work Visa Application Process Like?
- Other Unique Considerations for Foreign Workers in Mauritania
- Join the Globalization Partners Team
If your company is planning to send employees to Mauritania, Globalization Partners can help the process go smoothly. We’ll hire your employees through our existing subsidiary in Mauritania and handle the visa process from start to finish so that you can focus on what you do best: managing your business.
Types of Work Visas in Mauritania
Foreign nationals who intend to travel to Mauritania have a variety of different visas to choose from based on the purpose of their visit. The common visa categories include:
- Tourist visas
- Transit visas
- Business visas
- Student visas
- Work visas
Any employees who will be relocating to Mauritania from another country will need to obtain a work visa before starting in their new position.
What Are the Requirements to Obtain a Work Visa in Mauritania?
Visa requirements can change from time to time, and they may vary from one embassy to the next. To get a comprehensive, up-to-date list of required documents, applicants should get in touch with the embassy, consulate, or diplomatic mission of Mauritania in their country of residence. That said, many documents are likely to be required no matter what changes have been made, and the general requirements for a work visa include:
- A passport that is valid for at least six months
- Four recent passport photos
- Two completed and signed visa application forms
- A business cover letter from the applicant’s employer
- A certificate of vaccination against yellow fever
- Proof of accommodations in Mauritania
- A flight itinerary or copy of airline tickets
- Payment of the visa fee
What Is the Work Visa Application Process Like?
To get a visa that allows them to legally work in Mauritania, applicants should follow these steps:
- Find the nearest Mauritanian embassy or consulate.
- Gather all necessary documentation to support the application, including proof of vaccination against yellow fever.
- Submit the required materials, including payment in the form of a money order or check, to the Mauritanian embassy. The embassy requires applicants to complete this step in person. Some locations may also require a personal interview.
- Wait to hear from the relevant officials regarding a decision on the application. Processing times vary for visa applications, so it’s best to apply well in advance of the intended departure date.
- Upon approval of the visa, the applicant should return to the embassy to pick it up.
After obtaining their visas, foreign employees can travel to Mauritania to begin working.
Other Unique Considerations for Foreign Workers in Mauritania
In Mauritania, long-term visas are valid for one to three years, and they’re eligible for renewal after this initial period. Foreign employees should be aware that they will need to continue to meet visa requirements throughout the duration of their time in the country. If the employee loses any of the qualifications they require to perform the job or they do not perform the works for which they are employed, they run the risk of losing their visa.
Foreign workers should also take care to abide by local laws and special circumstances in Mauritania. Islam is the only religion that is recognized in Mauritania, and the associated laws and beliefs encourage dress and behavior that is relatively conservative. Employees should keep this behavior in mind while staying in Mauritania with a work visa.
Join the Globalization Partners Team
When you’re ready to expand your business in Mauritania, remember that Globalization Partners is here to help. We’ll make sure your company is compliant from day one while employing your desired candidates internationally. In addition to providing visa support, we’ll set up payroll, benefits, compensation, and more. Get in touch with us today to learn more about how we can help your business as it grows overseas.