G-P Logo
Request a proposal

BeBelgium Visas
& Permits.










Country Capital



Euro (€) (EUR)

Is your company planning to expand operations in Belgium? Belgium is a preferred location for international business, due in part to the country’s productive workforce. However, if you plan to relocate employees or hire new workers abroad, it’s important to make sure that all of your company’s team members have the appropriate visas and permits to work there legally.

Types of Work Visas in Belgium

In Belgium, there are three categories of work permits available to foreign nationals. These categories include:

  • Work Permit Type A: To obtain this permit, the applicant must have held a Type B permit for a period of four years during an uninterrupted, ten-year stay in Belgium. Type A permits are valid indefinitely.
  • Work Permit Type B: This permit allows foreign nationals to work in positions that cannot be filled by Belgian nationals. It is valid for one year, after which it can be renewed.
  • Work Permit Type C: This permit is issued to students and other temporary visitors. It is valid for a maximum of one year.

The most common work permit is Type B, and this is the permit your employees will most likely need. In addition to a work permit, employees will also need a residence visa to stay in Belgium.

Requirements to Obtain Belgium Work Visas

Belgium is a member of the European Union (EU), which means that nationals of other EU member states are free to work there without obtaining a work permit. Citizens from the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are also exempt. Anyone else will need a permit.

It is up to the employer to obtain a Type B work permit on behalf of foreign workers.

To obtain a visa, employees will need to provide the following documents:

  • A valid passport, along with a copy of each page
  • Proof of accommodation in Belgium
    Evidence of sufficient financial means
  • A police background check
  • A medical certificate of health
  • A work permit

Application Process

Foreign employees will need a work permit as well as a visa to live and work in Belgium. It’s the employer’s responsibility to apply for the work permit, but first, they will need to prove that there are no job-seeking Belgian nationals who are eligible to fill the position. After doing so, the application process can begin. The process involves the following steps:

  • The employer submits a work permit application to the immigration authorities in Belgium.
  • Upon approval, the authorities forward the work permit to the Belgian Embassy in the prospective employee’s country of residence.
  • The employee visits the Belgian Embassy in their country to apply for a residence visa.
  • After receiving the visa and permit, the employee may travel to Belgium.
  • In Belgium, the employee registers their arrival with the appropriate authorities and records their residential address.
  • The employee submits an application for an ID card.
  • The employee collects the ID card and provides their fingerprints.

After completing these steps, the employee may begin working for your company in Belgium.

Other Important Considerations

To sponsor a work permit for a foreign employee, the company must be registered and incorporated in Belgium. If your company does not have an existing subsidiary in Belgium, you can meet this requirement by partnering with a Global PEO which will act as the Employer of Record, hiring workers and sponsoring permits on your behalf.

After working for four years within a 10-year period in Belgium, employees may be eligible for a Type A work permit. Employees should be aware that they can apply for this permit themselves, unlike their Type B permit.

Learn More About G-P

Need to onboard international employees right now? We can help with your global hiring needs. Contact us and request a proposal.

At this moment, G-P does not offer support processing work visas or permits in this particular location.
For any other inquiries about our global employment platform, contact us today.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in

Book a demo
Share This Guide