Mauritius is a popular destination for expatriates due to the island nation’s beaches, reefs, and robust economy. If your company is planning to expand operations into Mauritius, recruiting a talented team of employees is probably high on your list of priorities. However, your employees will need to obtain the proper working visas and permits before they can legally live and work in this thriving country.
Types of Work Visas in Mauritius
There are many types of visas available to citizens of foreign nations who wish to enter Mauritius. However, any individuals who plan to seek gainful employment in the country will need one of the following:
- Work Permit
- Occupation Permit
- Certificate of Exemption
The majority of employees will need a Work Permit. Along with this document, they will also need to obtain a Residence Permit.
Occupation permits issued in Mauritius should not be confused with work permits. An occupation permit is a combined work and residence permit that allows foreign nationals to live and work in Mauritius. However, this permit is only available to applicants who fall under one of three subcategories: sponsored professionals, investors, and self-employed workers.
Requirements to Obtain Mauritius Work Visas
To be eligible for a work permit in Mauritius, the applicant should be between 20 and 60 years old. Exceptions to this requirement may be made for workers with specific expertise.
The application for a Work and Residence Permit requires the following documents:
- A completed application form
- Four passport photos
- Copies of the data pages of the applicant’s passport
- A completed data sheet
- Copies of the professional and academic qualifications of the applicant
- A description of the job issued by the employer
- Details of the prior work experience of the prospective employee
- A certificate of health issued to the applicant by the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life
- A copy of the employer’s Certificate of Incorporation and its business registration card
- The Contract of Employment (COE) that has been approved by the Labour Division with a minimum salary of 30,000 Mauritian Rupees (MUR)
- Proof that the job opening and the number of employees required were posted in two or more newspapers in A5 format
Foreign nationals will need a Residence Permit as well as a Work Permit to be employed in Mauritius legally. Because both permits are necessary, applicants may fill out a common form for both permits. The form can be found on the website of the Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations, Employment, and Training. Applicants should note that applications must be submitted online through the e-Work Permit Portal.
Upon entering the e-Work Permit Portal, applicants will be prompted to register and proceed with the application process.
While there is a common application for Residence and Work Permits, your employees should be aware that these permits are issued through separate entities. Residence Permits are granted by the Passport and Immigration Office, while Work Permits are issued by the Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations, Employment, and Training.
The employer may apply for a Mauritius work permit on behalf of the prospective employee. If this is the first time the company has applied for a work permit, a completed application form must be submitted along with a certified copy of the bylaws of the company.
Other Important Considerations
There are a few more things employees should keep in mind regarding employment in Mauritius:
- Expatriates who are married to Mauritian citizens do not require a work permit.
- Employees may apply for a Permanent Residence Permit after three years of living in Mauritius. Despite the name of this permit, it is valid for 10 years.
- Work permit applications from companies outside of Mauritius will only be accepted if they are incorporated in Mauritius as a foreign company. If your company does not have an established presence in Mauritius, you can still meet this requirement by using a global PEO as your Employer of Record.
Partner With G-P
The team of global experts at G-P has all the knowledge and experience your company needs for a quick and easy international expansion. Reach out today to learn more about how you can employ top talent in Mauritius and beyond with our Global Expansion solution.