G-P Logo
Request a proposal

UsUnited States Visas
& Permits.






Country Capital

Washington, D.C.


U.S. dollar ($) (USD)

Expanding a company’s operations into the United States is an exciting process, but it can also be a challenge. You’ll need a talented team of employees to help you set your company up for success abroad. If you’re planning to relocate any employees from your parent company to ease the transition, it’s up to you to make sure they have the necessary visas and permits to work in the U.S. legally.

Types of Work Visas in the United States

The United States is a large, complex country that’s open to development from foreign companies. As a result, there’s a wide variety of U.S. work visas for international employees to choose from. Most foreign workers will not need a U.S. work permit, as their visa will act as a permit as well.

Some common U.S. work visa categories include:

  • E-2 visa for investors
  • I visa for foreign media representatives
  • H-1B visa for professionals in a special occupation
  • H-1C visa for registered nurses
  • L-1A/B visa for intra-company transferees
  • O visas for foreign individuals with extraordinary achievements or abilities
  • TN NAFTA visas for professionals from Canada or Mexico

The H-1B visa for special occupation professionals is the most common U.S. working visa, and it’s the one most of your employees will likely need.

Note that the H-1B is a non-immigrant visa, which allows foreign workers to travel to the U.S. and stay temporarily for a specific job. Non-immigrant visas are easier to obtain than immigrant visas, which allow individuals to migrate to the U.S. and live there permanently.

Requirements to Obtain U.S. Work Visas

To get an H-1B visa, foreign employees must provide the following documents:

  • An employment offer from a company based in the U.S.
  • A copy of their CV or resume
  • Copies of their passport and any relevant degree certificates and transcripts

The employer will need to provide:

  • The company’s Federal Tax I.D. Number
  • The job title, salary, and job requirements for the position, along with a detailed job description
  • The name, address, and phone number of the company
  • The name and job title of the individual signing the forms on the company’s behalf
  • All of the necessary filing forms and fees

Application Process

As the employer, it is your responsibility to file a petition for each employee who needs an H-1B visa. The application process is as follows:

  1. The employer files the petition: You’ll need to include a variety of job-specific information, including the exact dates of employment and the duties of the position.
  2. The employer determines the prevailing wage and the actual wage for the position: To find the prevailing wage, you’ll need to file a form with the State Employment Security Agency in the U.S. You can determine the actual wage by comparing the wages of other workers in the same position with the same experience level as your employee. Your company must pay the higher of the two wages.
  3. The employer files a Labor Certification Application (LCA): By signing this form, your company agrees to pay the previously determined wage and offer the foreign employee the same benefits as your other employees.
  4. The U.S. Department of Labor approves the LCA: Upon approval, your company will receive a certified copy of the LCA. You’ll need to post a notice at your worksite that you applied for the LCA.
  5. The employer lodges the petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): You’ll obtain a receipt with a reference number and an estimated processing time.
  6. The USCIS approves the petition: Upon approval, you’ll receive a notice (Form I-797). At this point, the employee can begin working for your company.

Other Important Considerations

The USCIS limits the number of available H-1B visas provided each year, so it’s best to apply as soon as possible.

You should also be aware that the H-1B visa is valid for up to three years, after which you can renew it once for a total of up to six years.

Learn More About G-P

Need to onboard international employees right now? We can help with your global hiring needs. Contact us and request a proposal.

For this particular location, G-P may offer support processing certain work visas and permits. Contact us today to assess your specific needs.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in
UsUnited States.

Book a demo
Share This Guide