G-P Logo
Request a proposal

CnChina Visas
& Permits.





Standard Chinese

Country Capital



Renminbi (元/¥) (CNY)

When your company decides to grow in China, you’ll need to look at all the different visa types and determine which work best for your team members. For example, do they need a permanent residence visa, work permit, or another type of visa that will allow them to reside and work in China? What details and documents do they require to apply for a residence permit? All of these questions, along with several others, are important to ensure a smooth expansion into China.

Types of work visas in China

China uses abbreviations with letters and numbers to designate certain visa types. For example:

  • Z: This visa is for workers staying in China for longer than 6 months.
  • X1/X2: The X stands for xuéshēng, which means “student,” and the numbers indicate how long someone will stay. The X1 is for those staying longer than 180 days, while X2 is for a shorter period.
  • J1/J2: The J stands for jìzhě or “journalist.” This visa is meant for international journalists staying for a specific period.
  • M: This business visa is meant for 30- to 60-day visits.
  • F: This visa is for exchange students, visitors, and study tours lasting 30 to 90 days.
  • S1/S2: This visa is meant for people visiting family members who are non-residents.
  • Q1/Q2: China gives this visa to individuals visiting family members who are from or living in the country.

Other letters used may include “C” for chuányuán or crew, “L” for lǎowài or tourist, and “G” for guòjìng or transit.

Requirements to obtain China work visas

The requirements to get a work visa can vary based on the type of visa. However, most applicants for a visa in China need a passport, photograph, health certificate, and official employment license from the local authorities. As of June 6, 2022, China has waived the special invitation letter requirement for work visas.

All visa holders must comply with the Chinese Exit-Entry Administration Law and register with the Public Security Bureau (PSB). They must do so within 24 hours of arriving in the country. Here’s how each of your team members can comply:

  • Visit the nearest police station.
  • Show a passport.
  • Show a deed or lease to a home or host’s household registration.
  • Complete a temporary residence registration form.

After registering, your team member will get an approved Registration Form of Temporary Residence. This form can help when trying to obtain a Permanent Residence Visa in China.

Application process

Applying for a work visa in China requires going to the closest Chinese Visa Application Service Center or Chinese embassy to obtain an Entry visa. Your team members will need to provide basic documents. China also scores work permit applications based on the value the applicant brings to the country, considering factors such as salary, qualifications, work experience, age, Mandarin proficiency, and more. Depending on how high an applicant scores, they may get additional benefits.

The most common type of visa workers apply for is the Z visa. After entering China, applicants will need to obtain a Foreigner’s Work Permit Card. The application should be submitted online with SAFEA within 15 days of their arrival in China by the sponsoring company. Then, they need to obtain a Chinese Residence Permit that will replace the short-term entry visa(s). They must apply for this permit by:

  • Going to the nearest Exit-Entry Administration Service Center
  • Providing a passport
  • Filling out a registration form
  • Filling out a Foreigner’s Visa and Resident Permit Application Form
  • Providing a passport photo
  • Showing an official health certificate
  • Providing supporting documents as necessary

Other important considerations

When your team members submit their Working Visa Application Form, they must state how many entries they want — single, double, or multiple. This number will show how often and when they can enter China. For example, returning from a visit to Macao or Hong Kong is counted as a new entry, requiring a double-entry or multiple-entry visa. If your team members don’t plan to travel internationally while in China, a single-entry visa is enough and will cost less.

Discover how G-P can help you manage your global teams.

At G-P, we’re committed to breaking down barriers to global business, enabling opportunity for everyone, everywhere, and helping companies tap into the fullest potential of their workforce. We help you maintain full compliance with local laws and ensure everything from hiring and onboarding to paying your team is quick and easy, regardless of where they are in the world.

Find out more about how our Global Growth Platform™ can help you grow your team across the globe.

At this moment, G-P does not offer support processing work visas or permits in this particular location.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in

Book a demo
Share This Guide