G-P Logo
Request a proposal

MxMexico Visas
& Permits.






Country Capital

Mexico City


Mexican peso (MXN)

Many companies in other countries have additional locations in Mexico or want to outsource some of their operations and labor to the country. If you’re considering hiring individuals to work in Mexico, you need to know how to get a work visa. Following the right process will ensure that your team members stay compliant and can be productive from the start.

Types of work visas in Mexico

The National Institute of Migration oversees all immigration in Mexico and issues work visas. Anyone who wants to work in the country and does not yet have the right to work in Mexico must obtain a visa. For example, those working for Mexico-based companies need a residency visa with permission to work. Individuals working for an international company in Mexico for less than 6 months can instead get a visitor’s visa with permission to engage in remunerated activities. This visa is for foreign nationals who intend to enter Mexico as visitors to carry out remunerated activities for up to 180 days. This visa can be obtained following an authorization request subject to a consular interview with the National Institute of Migration in Mexico.

Mexico has 3 different visas:

  • Business visa: This applies to travelers visiting Mexico for up to 180 days to conduct gainful activities such as business meetings, technical assistance, and professional counseling, among others. This does not allow travelers to engage in any kind of remunerated activity.
  • Temporary resident visa: This visa is for nationals of other countries who want to live in Mexico for more than 180 days. In addition to the Mexico work permit, people with a temporary resident visa can live and work in the country for up to 4 years with a Mexico work visa.
  • Permanent resident visa: Citizens from other countries looking to live and work in Mexico permanently need a permanent resident visa. People with close family ties in the country or those who have lived in Mexico for a long time can also apply for the permanent resident visa.

Requirements to obtain Mexico work visas

The most common visa obtained by professionals in Mexico is the temporary resident visa as not all workers will meet the permanent resident visa requirements, which requires them to have family connections in the country, sufficient monthly income, or 4 years of regular status as a temporary resident. It may be wise for companies to apply for a temporary resident permit for team members who have been invited to Mexico to work or have real estate or close family ties in the country.

While some of the requirements differ between the 2 options, some common documents required include the following:

  • Visa application form
  • Valid passport
  • Copy of migratory document
  • Photo ID
  • Invitation from a public or private institution
  • Proof of finances, education, employment, and relationship with a citizen of Mexico

Application process

Citizens from other countries looking to work in Mexico for more than 6 months need a temporary resident visa with approval to work. This setup requires you, as the employer, to apply at the National Institute of Migration. If approved, the professional must apply for the relevant visa at the consulate of Mexico in the applicant’s resident country. Once you or the professional receives word that the visa application is accepted, the professional must visit the consulate to get the necessary visa within 1 month of issuance.

This entire procedure gives workers a temporary resident visa, along with permission to work, that’s valid for 180 days. After arriving in Mexico, the professional has 30 days to register with their local immigration office and receive a temporary resident card, which is valid for up to 4 years. After the card expires, the individual has to either obtain a permanent resident visa or leave Mexico.

Other important considerations

While it’s possible to convert a temporary resident visa into a permanent resident visa, citizens from other countries with a visitor status cannot convert it to work status. Individuals who have a company they want to work for in Mexico can apply for a work permit and stay in the country until they get the permit at the consulate of their home country. They must leave Mexico to collect the permit, and they can then apply for a residence visa.

Discover how G-P can help you manage your global teams.

At G-P, we’re committed to breaking down barriers to global business, enabling opportunity for everyone, everywhere, and helping companies tap into the fullest potential of their workforce. We help you maintain full compliance with local laws and ensure everything from hiring and onboarding to paying your team is quick and easy, regardless of where they are in the world.

Find out more about how our Global Growth Platform™ can help you grow your team across the globe.

For this particular location, G-P may offer support processing certain work visas and permits. Contact us today to assess your specific needs.


THIS CONTENT IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE. You should always consult with and rely on your own legal and/or tax advisor(s). G-P does not provide legal or tax advice. The information is general and not tailored to a specific company or workforce and does not reflect G-P’s product delivery in any given jurisdiction. G-P makes no representations or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information and shall have no liability arising out of or in connection with it, including any loss caused by use of, or reliance on, the information.

Expand in

Book a demo
Share This Guide